414 Washington St.   Marion, Al. 36756     phone: 334-683-6318  fax: 334-683-4616
Publisher: Lorrie Rinehart       Editor: Daniel L. Bamberg       Advertising: Lisa Averett      Bookkeeper: Sheila Duncan
"We are the front lines of truth advocacy. Major media outlets have traded truth for sensationalism, and online news sites have no real legal concerns to keep them in check. Digital text is not ink. The community newspapers are left as the only legally challenged body of information. We cannot afford to lie. We cannot afford to be inaccurate. We are the last stand for freedom of the press. We are the last of the true journalists."

Thursday, July 8

Faith Motivating Taylor Morton’s Bright Future

By Daniel L. Bamberg

Taylor Morton’s future in athletics appears to be bright.  Going into his senior season as a linebacker for the Bibb County High School Choctaws, doors are beginning to open for this potential Division 1 College Football prospect.

Taylor recently attended a Top 100 Rivals Football Camp in Atlanta, Georgia.  He was invited to this Southeast Regional event as one of the elite in the state.  If he is selected he will go on to the National Camp in Oklahoma.  From there he will have a chance to compete in the High School All American Game in New Mexico.

Top all of this off with getting solid looks from notable NCAA Division 1 schools, and that’s a lot for a guy to take in as he ventures into his last year in High School.  All of this however, has humbled the young athlete.

“I’ve been very blessed.  In everything I do on and off the field, when people look at me, I don’t want them to see Taylor I want them to see what God has done to me.  God gets all the glory,” Taylor expressed.

Taylor’s demeanor might not be considered that of the typical high schooler by most.  Confidence, respect, and charm are only a small handful of qualities, which are immediately noticeable within moments of speaking with him.  Perhaps this is why he is well liked among his peers.  Perhaps it is because Taylor doesn’t simply suggest he is blessed with mere words, but seems to find a blessing as something deeper than the word on the surface.

Taylor's inspired nature began a few years ago, in the wake of a family tragedy.   Trent Morton, Taylor's younger brother, died in a four-wheeler accident.  “I miss him everyday and wish he was here with me,” he explains.  “God humbled me during that experience and at the same time let me know He’d be with me through everything.  That is why I believe all glory should go to God,” Taylor suggested.

“When he died they found a card in his pocket which read, ‘never, never quit.’  That motivated me to never quit at anything whether it be in my faith or in my life,” said Taylor.  “When I am on the field I play with that never quit mentality.  There are only 4 quarters in a football game, and anyone who has played knows how quickly game time goes by.  So, you have got to make the most of it.  After my brother died, I realized life is similarly short.  We have to make the most of our time here,” he stated.

With College Campus visits, potential scholarship offers, and the eyes of scouts directed at him next year, Taylor isn’t focusing on his future just yet. 

“While I want to earn a college scholarship, right now I am a high school football player and I play for Bibb County.  I am a part of a team and want to help this team win a state championship.  All that other stuff will come later.  It isn’t a distraction just a bonus, or a blessing,” he explained.

After 2009, the greatest season in BCHS football history (12-1) Taylor believes there is more of the same to look forward to in 2010.  “We had a great team last year and this is no disrespect to that team, but I think the 2010 team is even better,” he said.

“You’ve got to strive to be better every year.  We can’t settle for what we did last year.  Last year we had a leading defense, but this year we are striving to make other teams score less this year than last.  We don’t want anyone to score on us,” he further stated.

Taylor attended elementary school in West Blocton and not only has friends in the community but on the WBHS football team.  For this reason he is looking forward to rebirth of the Bibb County vs. West Blocton rivalry in 2010.  With a look of excitement enhancing the smile on his face Taylor stated, “Yeah, I’ve had that one circled on my calendar since it was announced.  It should be fun and exciting.  We’re going to be ready and I know they will be ready as well.”

As the 2010 season gets closer Taylor is not the only one getting looks from Division 1 schools.  Diaheem Watkins and Tevin Crews are also making noise in those ranks.  According to Taylor, even those two aren’t the limits of the BCHS team.

“Our coaching staff does a excellent job.  Our workout program is second to none and we will have several seniors go on to play beyond the high school level.  As far as next year is concerned however, we’re all just going to go out there and play every game like it is the state championship,” Taylor concluded.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog