414 Washington St.   Marion, Al. 36756     phone: 334-683-6318  fax: 334-683-4616
Publisher: Lorrie Rinehart       Editor: Daniel L. Bamberg       Advertising: Lisa Averett      Bookkeeper: Sheila Duncan
"We are the front lines of truth advocacy. Major media outlets have traded truth for sensationalism, and online news sites have no real legal concerns to keep them in check. Digital text is not ink. The community newspapers are left as the only legally challenged body of information. We cannot afford to lie. We cannot afford to be inaccurate. We are the last stand for freedom of the press. We are the last of the true journalists."

Friday, June 25

From Miss FFA to State Representative


By Daniel L. Bamberg

Daniel@Centrevillepress.com

It was a definitive step in what will likely become a historic moment for Bibb County.  April Weaver's victory in the Republican primary for the Alabama House of Representatives in District 49 has been widely praised among many in the area.

Without opposition to face in November she will likely move on the very position she campaigned for during the last 12 or more months.  Once elected, she will be the first Representative to reside in Bibb County since Walter Owens. April will also be entering the highest political position to ever be held by a female from Bibb County. 

How does one go from being Miss FFA (Future Farmers of America) in 1989 to such heights? Weaver explained in a candid interview recently, that it wasn’t only the result of her determination, but of a pure grassroots campaign from hard workers who supported the thus far, nearly year long journey.

April was born to Bob and Pat Clark and raised in the Six Mile area of Bibb County.  Her father was the owner of tractor company "Clark Tractor" and her mother has been with the Bibb County Board of Registrars Office since 1978.  

Perhaps destiny to serve portions of Bibb and Shelby Counties began in April's bloodline. Her father's family is rooted in Bibb County, dating back many generations.  Her mother's family is rooted in Shelby County, also dating back many generations. Genealogical studies have even revealed that Weaver’s ancestors were likely original settlers of both counties.  

April attended Cahawba Christian Academy beginning in first grade until her sophomore year, when the school closed for a time.  She graduated from Bibb County High School in 1989.  Molding herself at an early age, April's extracurricular High School activities leaned mostly in the direction of service and academics.

"I was a bit of a nerd in school.  I was in Scholar's Bowl, Anchor Club, and served on the homecoming court," April said.  As previously stated she was also crowned Miss FFA in 1989.

"I have always lived in rural Alabama.  My roots are in farming," she expressed.

In 1993 April graduated from the University of Alabama with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and a minor in Criminal Justice.  After college, she began working for a Health Care Facility in Northport.  In 1994, April returned to Centreville working at Bibb Medical Center for Terry Smith.  

"The best hands-on experience I ever received came from my time at Bibb Medical," April stated.  It was while working at Bibb Medical that April became motivated to earn her degree in Nursing.  

"At that time I had some ideas on how to establish more efficient health care, but the nurses would remind me I was not a nurse, and ask me politely not to tell them how to do their jobs," April stated with a laugh.

She decided to go to Shelton State Community College for her nursing degree.  While there, she completed her clinical studies at Bibb Medical.  In 1999, April was recruited by Tenet Health Corporation to work at Brookwood Medical Center.  At Brookwood, she was eventually promoted to Director of Government Relations.

In this position April worked with a lot of Government Healthcare Officials.  She was not only gaining exposure to the Government side of Healthcare, but was beginning to develop an interest in politics. She began working with a lot of Republican candidates, who eventually led her to join the Republican Party.

"Until then I had never been involved with politics.  I always had conservative views and leaned in that direction.  It wasn't, however, until after working with Republican candidates that I decided I was a Republican, without a doubt," April explained.

Eventually she began to work within the campaigns of some Republican candidates.  Her first real taste of politics came by working for Mary McClurkin and Governor Bob Riley during his first Congressional campaign.

In 2002 April began working for Baptist Health Systems.  She helped Shelby Baptist Medical Center in a “Certificate of Need” battle over performing open-heart surgeries.  In 2006 Governor Riley tapped April to serve on his Health Care Council.  April was the first person from Bibb County to serve on this council.  After serving a two-year term she was reappointed to the position in 2008.

Since then April has been working in Montgomery with Health Care Plans for the state.  She is also the Director of Business Administration at Shelby Baptist.

“In my life span I have worked with many citizens of Bibb and Shelby counties within the medical field.  A lot of things I have helped develope have served these citizens directly as well.  I think a lot of people may have voted for me because of my work in Health Care.  With so many uncertainties being handed down in the Federal Health Care System, I think having someone with the knowledge about the business is important to them,” explained April. 

Weaver hasn’t stopped educating herself and improving her already impressive credentials.  In 2006 she received her MBA and in 2010 she received her Legal Nurse Certificate.

So where, why, how did she make the decision to run for Alabama House of Representatives in District 49?  “When I was working with McClurken’s campaign I decided that if Cam (Ward) ever moved on I would run for his seat.  So once Hank (Erwin) decided to run for Lieutenant Governor and Cam made the decision to run for Hank’s seat in the Senate, my decision was just put into action,” said April. 

“I know I am going to have some really big shoes to fill, but I am excited about building on the wonderful things Cam has done for District 49.”

While April’s campaign was a bold step, the efforts were very much humble.  “I had the most wonderful true grassroots campaign working for me.  So many people we knew and their families helped us.  We didn’t rely on Montgomery groups to help us with automated callers and mail-in fliers.  We had a wide range of volunteers and we reached out to the community,” explained April.  “We visited somewhere between six to seven thousand homes and talked with citizens about what was important to them.  It was a face-to-face campaign.  Even with me, while I called many people personally, it typically became catching up.  Most people I came in contact with were people I knew dating back to school or someone who I met through serving in the medical field,” April stated.

Her campaign never seemed to cater to any certain demographic.  April was at sports games in the community.  She was at public events.  She visited the nursing homes and many neighborhoods, on various income levels. 

“I think this was another reason some voted for me.  I wasn’t a politician to them.  I was a normal person who decided to make a difference.  I also believe deeply that every single vote matters and every person matters,” April stated.

April and her husband, Dr. Darrell Weaver, along with their children Kayla, Rebekah, Sarah Grace, and Holly hit the campaign trail hard and as a family unit.  “We have a wonderful Brady Bunch,” said April.  “The kids are excited.  They all worked so hard and this was rewarding in many ways for them.”

With April’s daughter, Holly, only being 8 years old it wasn’t unusual for the Weavers to be spotted in their vehicle with a sign and a carload of kids wearing “Weaver” shirts. 

“Some of our friends with children would come up to us and see the kids on the campaign trail and then ask if they could play too,” explained Weaver with a casual laugh. 

“I hope and believe voters identified with us as real people, because we are.  My family and I are the same as so many.  We love America and believe in a strong community connection,” explained April.

“I am not known for being a seat warmer.  I will be active in helping to generate job growth in District 49.  I am also an advocate of quality health care, senior citizens, and have a sincere belief in the value of a strong education.”

Perhaps April’s story can be considered “Local Girl Makes Good,” but while April is excited about the nomination and nearly guaranteed election she hasn’t declared total victory.

“This is only a step.  It’s wonderful and I am excited but I now have a job to do and I plan on working hard to serve everyone in District 49.  This current victory is one for everyone who worked tirelessly on my campaign,” April concluded.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog