414 Washington St.   Marion, Al. 36756     phone: 334-683-6318  fax: 334-683-4616
Publisher: Lorrie Rinehart       Editor: Daniel L. Bamberg       Advertising: Lisa Averett      Bookkeeper: Sheila Duncan
"We are the front lines of truth advocacy. Major media outlets have traded truth for sensationalism, and online news sites have no real legal concerns to keep them in check. Digital text is not ink. The community newspapers are left as the only legally challenged body of information. We cannot afford to lie. We cannot afford to be inaccurate. We are the last stand for freedom of the press. We are the last of the true journalists."

Friday, January 22

A Personal Apology to Jim Oakley and an Explanation

I deeply and sincerely apologize to Mr. Jim Oakley and his family.  Last week in his space and under his header for his weekly column "Rambling Thoughts" an incomplete column of mine was published.  As I am writing this, it is uncertain how this occurred.  It is safe to suggest, nobody at this newspaper would have committed such an act intentionally.  Everyone here at the Centreville Press has a tremendous respect for Mr. Oakley and his family.  This paper would have never been a reality without the efforts of the Oakley family.
Those who know Jim Oakley personally know this was not his writing. Even those who do not know Mr. Oakley should have been able to pick up on certain contradictions based on his previous writings. That which should stand out most to his readers, is that Oakley is an Alabama fan, and the author of the column (myself) expressed his love for Auburn.
The implications of the author's character contradicts Mr. Oakley's personality. This is the portion of the column which I would like to address for the sake of my own reputation. As previously stated this was an incomplete column. Its point was not to paint myself as an arrogant wooer of women with high standards. Certain adult thematic implications were also in the language of the column. That which the column implies is an embarrassment to myself, my friends, my family, and most importantly the paper I work for. Allow me to stress, again this was an incomplete column and the point was never made.
While concluding the story may seem to be a logical attempt to polish my own character, it would be self serving in light of what happened last week. Too much has been made of last week's mistake for me to spend time explaining where I was going. It is irrelevant. Those who know me understand my character. For those who do not, I can only hope you will take my word for it this one time. The story within the piece was completely real and the direction was relevant.  After reading it for myself on paper however, I knew it was open to interpretations unbecoming of my professional position. Each week I begin columns and re-work them. Sometimes I delete them and start all over. That which appeared under Oakley's header was supposed to have been deleted from the folder. Somehow my attempt to delete it did not work, somehow it wound up on the page, and somehow it wound up in Oakley's spot. Ironically, "Everybody Has One" was not even to be featured in last week's edition of the Centreville Press.
Of the language, allow me to explain that as most writers do, I was toying with a creative opening. The story could have been told quick and simple with less "romantic" expression, but sometimes writers get bored and play with the story. Of the story's implications the only defense I can offer is; I was young, stupid and living in a time away from my own character. After all the story occurred nearly 8 years ago. As with most people, time adds a maturity through God's lessons. I am no exception. As I have repeatedly admitted openly in this column my life has had more than its share of personal hypocrisy. Thank God I continue to learn from my own hypocrisies and seek humility. I hope you can all relate to a time in your life when things weren't quite bulletproof.
Before last week's situation occurred I was considering taking some time away from writing "Everybody Has One." The reasons are varied and inappropriate to explain. I think last week's accidental trade with Oakley confirmed my original way of thinking was proper, for now. Mr. Oakley, again I extend my sincere regrets and hope you can understand this was not intentional. To the Oakley family, I apologize for any discomfort which it might have caused. For those who have read my work, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to hear my opinions. God Bless you all.
- Daniel L. Bamberg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog